What is the O.J.?
The Official Journal of the European Union is a chronological publication of legislative and non-legislative acts. It is issued every working day in all official languages of the EU. Prior to Feb. 1, 2003, it was called the Official Journal of the European Communities. With the accession of a new Member State, a "special edition" is published to translate the legislation in-force at that date into the new language, e.g., the Special Edition in English covering 1952-1972.
NOTE: Council Regulation (EU) No. 216/2013, 7 March 2013, on the electronic publication of the Official Journal of the European Union,
2013 O.J. (L 69) 1, provides that, from 1 July 2013, only the Official Journal published in electronic form on EUR-Lex shall be authentic and shall produce legal effects. If, due to unforeseen and exceptional disruption of the information system, the electronic publication of the O.J. is temporarily not possible, then the print edition will be authentic and produce legal effects.
Proposed Regulation: COM (2011) 162 Final (4 April 2011)
The O.J. is divided into the following series:
- L Series: regulations, directives, decisions, recommendations, opinions
- C Series (started in 1968):
table of contents of CE edition for the same day, if any
summaries of judgments of the Court of Justice and Court of First Instance
Parliamentary written questions and answers from Council or Commission
statements of the European Economic and Social Committee and the Committee of the Regions
- CE Series/electronic only: preparatory acts
- CA Series
- S: Supplement to the O.J. contains invitations to tender and is available in theTED database.
- Annex: Debates of Parliament. Ceased in paper after the May 1999 session. See EUROPARL/Plenary: Debates.
Because page numbering starts over with page 1 in each daily issue, it is necessary to know the year of publication to find a citation with ease.
2001 O.J. (L1) 10 [the first issue of the L Series for 2001, at page 10]
2000 O.J. (C371) 2 [the 371st issue of the C Series for 2000, at page 2]
Where to find the O.J. in print & online
WHEN YOU HAVE A CITATION TO THE OJ:
Go to Direct Access to the Official Journal to retrieve the OJ by year, OJ series and issue number.
WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE A CITATION:
Search by words, date, type of document (such as treaty, legislation), etc.
Jennifer Wertkin's Research Guide: European Union Legal Materials has examples of how to set up a search in LexisNexis, Westlaw and EUR-Lex for directives and regulations by year and number, by CELEX number and by subjects.
- EUR-Lex Official Journal EUR-Lex is gradually adding PDFs of all years in all languages of the EU. Coverage is best for years starting with 1998.
NOTE: Westlaw, WestlawNext and LexisNexis require passwords. LexisNexis Academic, which may be available in libraries that subscribe to it, has EU materials under the International Legal tab.
- Westlaw: If you are using a terms & connectors search, you can include the terms and/or the classification numbers from the Directory of European Union legislation in force in the "Index" field.
EU-ALL: combines all the EU files in Westlaw
EU-LEG: Official Journal Legislation
EU-OJCSeries: Official Journal C Series
All Content: International Materials: European Union Materials: Legislation: European Union Legislation and European Union OJ C Series
- LexisNexis lists EU materials under Legal--Find Laws by Country or Region--Foreign Laws & Legal Sources--European Union.
EURCOM;ECLAW combines all the EU files in LexisNexis.
EURCOM;LEGIS has the Official Journal.
LexisNexis Academic: International Legal: EU, Commonwealth and Other Nations--see the Source list for coverage.
IN PRINT & MICROFORMS
- Official Journal, L and C Series, vols. 16-40 (1973-1997) and vols. 49-51 (2006-2008); plus annual indexes.
Compact Shelves KJE908 .J6
Microfiche 1973-2005: Media Center Cabinet A
- Official Journal, Special Edition (English), 1952-1972
Microfiche: Media Center Cabinet A
- Journal officiel des Communautés Européennes (French), 1952-1976
Microfiche: Media Center Cabinet A
- Official Journal...Annex: Debates of Parliament
Compact Shelves NYUL KE-E5 2J67. Ceased in paper after May 1999 session. See EUROPARL/Plenary: Debates.