COM documents/preparatory acts/Green papers/White papers
For a subject outline of proposed legislation, see the Directory of European Union legislation in preparation. You can also search for them by topic, dates, etc., in EUR-Lex Simple Search or Preparatory Acts, Westlaw EU-ACTS or LexisNexis EURCOM;PREP. Westlaw and LexisNexis require passwords.
According to EUR-Lex, "preparatory documents" include Commission legislative proposals, Council common positions, legislative and budgetary resolutions and initiatives of the European Parliament, and opinions of the European Economic and Social Committee and of the Committee of the Regions, etc.
If you are researching an adopted act, the final text of the adopted legislation (published in the O.J. L Series) usually provides a citation to the relevant treaty article(s) that are the basis of the legislation and to the "preparatory acts."
COM Documents print legislative proposals with an explanatory memorandum.Green papers, white papers and other communications and reports issued by the Commission may also be printed as COM documents.
Example: Proposal for a Regulation of the European Parliament and of the Council on the Common Fisheries Policy, COM (2011) 425 final (July 13, 2011).
COM Documents/legislative prososals are available as follows:
- EUR-Lex Simple Search or Preparatory Acts
NOTE: Westlaw, WestlawNext and LexisNexis require passwords. LexisNexis Academic, which may be available in libraries that subscribe to it, has EU materials under the International Legal tab.
- Westlaw EU-ACTS
All Content: International Materials: European Union Materials: Legislation: European Union Preparatory Acts
- LexisNexis EURCOM;PREP
- Paper, 1980-April 2003: Compact Shelves NYUL KE-E& 1D62
- Microfiche, 1974-1987: Media Center
- In the O.J.:
O.J. C-E Series (electronic only), July 1999- (with explanatory memorandum since October 2002).
Until June 1999, most legislative proposals were published in the O.J. C Series, but without the explanatory memorandum that is in the COM document.
Tracking proposed legislation
- Legislative procedures tab in EUR-Lex, for tracking EU legislative proposals. PreLex is no longer a free-standing database.
- For more recent documents not in the Procedures database, consult the Registers of Documents for the EU institutions.
- Legislative Observatory, European Parliament Database for monitoring EU decision-making (OEIL).
- European Sources Online, Cardiff University European Documentation Centre ESO's descriptive records for legislative proposals include links to other EU documents related to the legislative process.