This guide lists essential sources for researching general aspects of international law. For specialized topics, such as human rights or international arbitration, see the guide International Law: Specialized Sources.
Last Updated: Nov 20, 2017
Getting started--classics, etc.
Books, working papers, etc.
Law reviews, journals, articles
News, blogs & paper/note topics
Abbreviation dictionaries/citation manuals
Westlaw, LexisAdvance, HeinOnline, & Bloomberg Law
Other research guides
International Law: Specialized Sources
Sources, I.C.J. Statute, U.N. Charter
United States treaties
Customary IL & state practice
Teachings of the publicists
Expert & scholarly organizations
NOTE: This guide uses the term "treaties" as a shortcut for the various terms used for treaties, conventions, etc.
In addition to this general page, the Treaties tab contains the following pages:
See also Books, working papers, etc. and law reviews, journals, articles.
Search Julius by title to determine if the library has print copies of the ebooks listed below.
- Commentary on the 1969 Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties
By Mark E. Villiger.
- Hague Academy Collected Courses Online
Choose Advanced Search and search keyword "law of treaties."
- International Law Commission, Analytical Guide to the Work of the International Law Commission. 1.1 Law of Treaties, United Nations
- International Law in the U.S. Legal System, Oxford Public International Law
By Curtis Bradley.
- The Law of Treaties; a Guide to the Legislative History of the Vienna Convention
By Shabtai Rosenne.
- The Law of Treaties: An Introduction
By Robert Kolb.
- The Law of Treaties Beyond the Vienna Convention, Oxford Scholarship
By Enzo Cannizzaro.
- Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law, Oxford Public International Law
Contains over 50 articles under the subject "Law of treaties."
- Modern Treaty Law and Practice
By Anthony Aust.
- On the Interpretation of Treaties: The Modern International Law as Expressed in the 1969 Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties, Springer Link
By Ulf Linderfalk.
- The Oxford Guide to Treaties, Oxford Public International Law
By Duncan B. Hollis, ed.
- Treaty Interpretation, 2d ed.
By Richard K. Gardiner.
- Treaty Interpretation and the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties 30 Years On, Ebook Central
By Malgosia Fitzmaurice, Olufemi Elias & Panos Merkouris.
- The Vienna Conventions on the Law of Treaties: A Commentary, Oxford Public International Law
By Olivier Corten & Pierre Klein.
- The Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties
By Ian Sinclair.
- Monthly Editorials by Randall Lesaffer, editor of the Oxford Historical Treaties, Oxford Public International Law
- U.S. Dept. of State Treaty Affairs page
- United Nations Treaty Reference Guide, Treaty Handbook, etc.
- International and Foreign Legal Research: A Coursebook
By Marci Hoffman & Mary Rumsey. See Chapter 6, Public International Law.
- International Law Legal Research
By Anthony S. Winer, Mary Ann E. Archer & Lyonette Louis-Jacques.
- Treaties and International Agreements, LawPORT tutorial, Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, School of Advanced Study, Univ. of London
- ASIL Guide to Electronic Resources for Researching Public International Law: Treaties, ASIL
By Kelly Vinopal.
- UPDATE: An Introduction to Sources for Treaty Research, GlobaLex
By Mark Engsberg and Mary Beth Chappell.
- Treaty Research Guide, Brooklyn Law School Library
By Jean Davis.
- Treaties and International Agreements, Berkeley Law Library
By Marci Hoffman & Caitlin Hunter.
- Researching Non-U.S. Treaties and Agreements, LLRX
By Stefanie Weigman.