This guide lists essential sources for researching general aspects of international law. For specialized topics, such as human rights or international arbitration, see the guide International Law: Specialized Sources.
Last Updated: Nov 20, 2017
Getting started--classics, etc.
Books, working papers, etc.
Law reviews, journals, articles
News, blogs & paper/note topics
Abbreviation dictionaries/citation manuals
Westlaw, LexisAdvance, HeinOnline, & Bloomberg Law
Other research guides
International Law: Specialized Sources
Sources, I.C.J. Statute, U.N. Charter
United States treaties
Customary IL & state practice
Teachings of the publicists
Expert & scholarly organizations
Bilateral treaties & treaty sources for other countries
- Treaty Index, HeinOnline World Treaty Library
Search by keywords, dates, places, countries, etc., across several major treaty indexes and collections, including the Historical Treaty Index to Parry's Consolidated Treaty Series, Multilateral Treaty Calendar, Hein's U.S. Treaty Index, Martens, Rohn's World Treaty Index, UNTS, and LNTS.
- IF THE U.S. IS A PARTY
- See also Selected special subject treaty sources.
- Participant search, United Nations Treaty Series database
To find bilateral treaties deposited with the United Nations.
- Monthly Statement of Treaties and International Agreements Registered or Filed and Recorded with the Secretariat, UN Treaty Collection Database
The Monthly Statement (also called Statement of...) provides updated information about bilateral treaties.
- Treaty Search>Country Name, United Nations Law Collection, HeinOnline
U.N.T.S. publishes some bilateral treaties. Use this search engine to look for bilateral treaties deposited with the United Nations.
- Flare Index to Treaties
Conceived and compiled by Dr. Peter Clinch, Cardiff Univ. Hosted by I.A.L.S., Univ. of London. Covers over 2,000 treaties. Key multilateral treaties from 1353 onward and key bilateral treaties from 1353 to 1815. Harvested from Bowman & Harris, the Index of British Treaties, 1101-1988, and other treaty tools.
- WorldLII International Treaties Collection
Covers some countries and jurisdictions.
- State websites for treaties and information about treaties, UN Audiovisual Library of International Law
- World Treaty Index: An Electronic Treaty Database Spanning the 20th Century
May not work well in Internet Explorer.
- World Treaty Index (2nd ed. 1983-84), predecessor of the World Treaty Index database above
Compiled by Peter H. Rohn. Stops after 1980.
- Martens Nouveau recueil général de traités: conventions et autres transactions remarquables....
Covers multilateral and bilateral treaties, 1840-1969.
- Bluebook Table 2
Lists treaty sources for some countries, which may include the government legal gazette, a treaty series, e.g., United Kingdom Treaty Series (UKTS), or a collection of foreign affairs related materials, e.g., British and Foreign State Papers, HeinOnline World Treaty Library.
- Foreign Law by Jurisdiction, NYU Law Library
- Guide to Foreign and International Legal Citations, NYU Journal of International Law and Politics, 2d ed.
- Other citation guides for foreign law, NYU Law Library [Guide to] Foreign Law by Jurisdiction