This guide lists essential sources for researching general aspects of international law. For specialized topics, such as human rights or international arbitration, see the guide International Law: Specialized Sources.
Last Updated: Nov 20, 2017
Getting started--classics, etc.
Books, working papers, etc.
Law reviews, journals, articles
News, blogs & paper/note topics
Abbreviation dictionaries/citation manuals
Westlaw, LexisAdvance, HeinOnline, & Bloomberg Law
Other research guides
International Law: Specialized Sources
Sources, I.C.J. Statute, U.N. Charter
United States treaties
Customary IL & state practice
Teachings of the publicists
Expert & scholarly organizations
UN Human Rights Council, Commission & Committee
- Commission on Human Rights
1946 through 62d/last session, March 27, 2006. Replaced by the Human Rights Council.
Resolutions of the Commission: Cite to the Report of the Commission on Human Rights to the ECOSOC, which is a supplement to the ECOSOC Official Records. Compact Shelves JX1977 A2118 (unbound in B2 South). Also available in the U.N. ODS.
Example: U.N. Comm'n on Human Rights, Res. 40 (XXXVII), U.N. ESCOR, Supp. No.5, at 243, U.N. Doc. No. A/1981/25 (1981).
- ICCPR text, status of ratifications, declarations, reservations
- Human Rights Commission webpage
Relevant instruments, Lists of Issues, concluding observations, periodic reports of states parties, material from the complaint procedure, General Comments, and other Committee materials and information.
- General Comments on the ICCPR
- U.N. Covenant on Civil and Political Rights: CCPR Commentary (2d ed
By Manfred Nowak.
- Guide to the "Travaux Préparatoires" of the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights
By Marc J. Bossuyt.
- The Universal Declaration of Human Rights: The Travaux préparatoires
By William A. Schabas.
- Universal periodic review documentation/reports
- Complaint procedure, general information
- The U.N. Human Rights Committee: Practice and Procedure
- Decisions, views, etc., UN OHCHR Treaty Bodies Search
Filter by committee: CCPR and document type: jurisprudence. Additional filters: state, UN document symbol, date.
- Decisions, views, etc., UN Official Document System
Advanced Search: Symbol, e.g., =CCPR/C/102/D/1622/2007 and Truncation = Left
- Decisions, views, etc. official paper source: Vol. II, Report of the Human Rights Committee to the General Assembly, General Assembly Official Records
Example: Communication No. 616/1995, Hamilton v. Jamaica (views adopted 23 July 1999, 66th Sess.), Report of the Human Rights Committee to the GA, GAOR, 54th Sess., Supp. No. 40 (Vol. II), at 73, U.N. Doc. No. A/54/40 (Vol. II) (2000).
- Selected Decisions of the Human Rights Committee under the Optional Protocol, vols. 1-9, UN OHCHR
- Selected Decisions of the Human Rights Committee under the Optional Protocol, vols. 2-9
- International Human Rights Reports
- Official Records of the Human Rights Committee, 1993-1997
Vol. I, summary meeting records. Vol. II, reports of states parties.
- Defining Civil and Political Rights: The Jurisprudence of the United Nations Human Rights Committee