This guide lists essential sources for researching general aspects of international law. For specialized topics, such as human rights or international arbitration, see the guide International Law: Specialized Sources.
Last Updated: Aug 29, 2017
Getting started--classics, etc.
Books, working papers, etc.
Law reviews, journals, articles
News, blogs & paper/note topics
Abbreviation dictionaries/citation manuals
Westlaw, LexisAdvance, HeinOnline, & Bloomberg Law
Other research guides
International Law: Specialized Sources
Sources, I.C.J. Statute, U.N. Charter
United States treaties
Customary IL & state practice
Teachings of the publicists
Expert & scholarly organizations
Documents, legislation & cases, generally
For specific IGOs, courts and tribunals, see the dropdowns under the Human Rights tab.
Human rights, in Foreign Law by Jurisdiction>Subject-specific sources
- Refworld Legal Collection
Designed primarily as a tool for disseminating and promoting (international) law relating to refugees, asylum seekers, stateless persons and other persons of concern to UNHCR. Instruments, documents, international and national legislation, special agreements such as MOUs, host-country agreements and voluntary repatriation agreements, plus jurisprudence from 40 national tribunals and many international and regional tribunals.
- Refworld Jurisprudence
- Global Health and Human Rights Database, Lawyers Collective and O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law at Georgetown University
Case law, national constitutions and international instruments.
- HuriSearch, A HURIDOCS Tool, Human Rights Information and Documentation Systems, International
Searches over 5000 human rights websites.
- Oxford Reports on International Law
- African Human Rights Case Law Database & Documents Database, Centre for Human Rights, University of Pretoria
- African Human Rights Case Law Analyser, Institute for Human Rights and Development in Africa
- Anti-trafficking conventions, legislation and model laws, The Protection Project
- Human Rights Law Journal
- Human Rights Documentation Initiative, Univ. of Texas Libraries
Aims to preserve fragile and archival materials.
- International Human Rights Reports
- International Human Rights Reports (IHRR) Index, Yale Law Library
- Legal Database, CRIN Child Rights International Network: Library
- Legislationline, OSCE Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights
- Protection Project Law Library
- Publications, CRIN Child Rights International Network
Includes analysis of some national laws.
- University of Minnesota Human Rights Library