This guide lists essential sources for researching the North American Free Trade Agreement system. NOTE: Main tabs list important general sources that might not be repeated in the dropdown tabs.
Last Updated: Jun 28, 2017
BITs, other trade agreements & national laws on foreign investment
Bilateral Treaties in the International Law: General Sources research guide
Other trade agreements in the WTO/GATT research guide
To find books, articles and other commentary on investment treaties in general, see Books, working papers, etc.
- Mapping BITs
According to the website, this method uses text-as-data analysis to "discover patterns of consistency and innovation in the BIT universe."
- UNCTAD International Investment Agreements Navigator
This website can be useful for finding out the year of a treaty, which can help in locating the text of the treaty in the Investment Treaties print looseleaf described below.
- Kluwer Arbitration, Wolters Kluwer Law & Business
Special focus: Bilateral Investment Treaties (BITS)
- Investment Claims database, Oxford Univ. Press
Content type: Treaties. Note: The OUP Investment Claims database has more content than the OUP Investment Claims module in the Oxford Reports on International Law.
- Investor-State Law Guide
Treaties & Rules.
- Bilateral Investment Treaties and Related Agreements, U.S. Dept. of State
Model treaty and texts of U.S. BITS.
- Bilateral Investment Treaties, U.S. Trade Representative
- Trade and Related Agreements Database, U.S. International Trade Administration, Trade Agreements Compliance Program
Agreement texts and guides.
- Database of Bilateral Investment Treaties, ICSID
Searchable by signatory States, particular treaty and year of signature. Texts of treaties are reproduced in the ICSID print volumes "Investment Promotion and Protection Treaties," also called "Investment Treaties."
- Investment Treaties website, ICSID
- Iinvestment Treaties, also called Investment Promotion and Protection Treaties, ICSID
- Investment Treaties, italaw.com
- BIT by BIT, by Lyonette Louis-Jacques, on finding BITs, Slaw
- Viegas, Michelle S., "The Development of the Free Trade Area of the Americas: A Guide For Legal Research," 33 Intl J. Legal Info. 11 (2005).
Update it with information from the other guides listed under the Research Guides tab.
- Bilateral Free Trade Agreements
Congressional debates, reports, hearings, and related materials for the enabling acts for the free trade agreements with Israel, the West Bank, Gaza, Jordan, Singapore, Chile, Australia, Dominican Republic, Morocco, Bahrain, and Central America.
- CAFTA (or DR-CAFTA, CAFTA-DR, US-DR-CAFTA): UPDATE: Basic Primary and Secondary Information Online Sources for the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and the United States Central American Free Trade Agreement-Dominican Republic (CAFTA-DR)
This research guide by Francisco A. Avalos & Maureen Garmon provides information and links related to the Central American Free Trade Agreement (U.S., Costa Rica, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Guatemala, and Dominican Republic), in addition to the NAFTA.
- CUSFTA: Canada United States Free Trade Agreement
Also referred to as the FTA. In operation from 1989-1993, the CUSFTA was superseded by the NAFTA as of January 1, 1994.
- FTAA: Work to establish the Free Trade Area of the Americas began in 1994.