This guide lists essential sources for researching the North American Free Trade Agreement system. NOTE: Main tabs list important general sources that might not be repeated in the dropdown tabs.
Last Updated: Jun 28, 2017
- U.S. Dept. of State. Office of Legal Advisor. International Claims and Investment Disputes. NAFTA Investor-State Arbitrations
See the box on the upper left for links to information on the disputes and for related documents. In the list of relevant websites, note the NAFTA Free Trade Commission interpretation and statements related to Chapter 11.
- Chapter 11, Global Affairs Canada: Trade
- GAR, Global Arbitration Review
- IAR, Investment Arbitration Reporter
- International Investment Law and Arbitration: Leading Cases from the ICSID, NAFTA, Bilateral Treaties and Customary International Law, 2005
- Investment Claims database. Oxford University Press
Use Advanced Search, or browse Content: Case reports.
- Investment Disputes under NAFTA: An Annotated Guide to NAFTA Chapter 11, Kluwer Arbitration.com
- Investor State Law Guide
To find disputes under specific articles of Chapter 11: Research Tools, Article Citator, NAFTA, and click on NAFTA - Chapter 11: Investment.
- ITA, Investment Treaty Arbitration. Free database from the University of Victoria Faculty of Law.
Investment treaty awards and cases searched, or browsed by party, legal instrument or case type, person (arbitrator, counsel, judge, etc.), and type of proceeding.
- KluwerArbitration.com, Wolters Kluwer Law & Business
To find court decisions and arbitral awards by topic, keywords, organization, etc., use advanced search. Decisions and awards are also listed under Browse Categories> Jurisdictions>Court Decision tab and Award tab.
- NAFTA Chapter Eleven Reports, Kluwer Arbitration.com
Information and documents about Chapter 11 disputes. The "Disputes" link has pleadings, orders and awards, listed by country. The Legal Documents" link has some texts from the negotiation of the NAFTA.
- North American Free Trade Agreements: Investor-State Arbitration (two volumes)
- Westlaw: Appleton, Investor-State Reports, 1990-