This guide lists essential print and online sources for researching foreign law. NOTE: First 4 tabs list important general sources that might not be repeated in the dropdown tabs.
Last Updated: Jun 8, 2017
- Canada Supreme Court Reports, HeinOnline
- CANLII, Canadian Legal Information Institute
Free database of Canadian legal material.
- Current Canadian Legislation, Bora Laskin Law Library, University of Toronto Faculty of Law
Thorough list of links for federal and provincial Canadian legislation, debates, statutes, regulations, gazettes, votes and proceedings.
- Foreign Policy DFAIT/MAECI, Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade
- Justice Law Website, Canada Dept. of Justice
"Point-in-time" laws and official consolidated acts and regulations.
- Law Central Alberta, Center for Public Legal Education Alberta
- LEGISinfo, Parliament of Canada
Bills, legislation and related research tools.
- Lexis Advance, International tab, Canada
Federal and provincial cases, federal and provincial legislation and consolidated legislation. See Source Information notes for coverage.
- LexisNexis Quicklaw
Legislation, cases, administrative law, books, journals, indexes to legal literature, forms, directories, etc.
Judgments of the Supreme Court of Canada.
- Provincial Statutes of Canada, HeinOnline
The Provincial Statutes of Canada contain public and private acts passed by Canadian provincial governments. Current, revised, and historical content is available for Alberta, British Colombia, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Ontario. Historical and revised content only is available for Manitoba, Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, and Saskatchewan.
- RefLex citator, CanLII
The RefLex citator cross-links material within CanLII, the free database for Canadian legal materials, and provides citations to sources for materials cited, but not available in, CanLII.
- Supreme Court of Canada
- Treaty Law Division, Global Affairs Canada, Government of Canada
Treaty list, status and texts. Starting 1 April, 2014, the Canada Treaty Series is available only on this site.
Canadian materials include the Encyclopedic Digest, cases and statutes and various treatises.
Materials will be located in B2 North (map), with call numbers beginning with KE.