This guide lists essential print and online sources for researching foreign law. NOTE: First 4 tabs list important general sources that might not be repeated in the dropdown tabs.
Last Updated: Jun 8, 2017
- Administration of Criminal Justice Act, 2015, Federal Ministry of Justice
- Court of Appeal, Nigeria
- Federal High Court
Contains machine-produced English translations of the legislation of Nigeria. Warning: Machine-based translations should not be relied upon in important documents and writings.
- Laws of Nigeria, Index of Federal Laws, Nigerian Legal Information Institute
This list of the laws contains links to full text for a few of them.
- Laws of Nigeria, PLAC Policy and Legal Advocacy Centre
- Laws of the Federation of Nigeria 2000, International Centre for Nigerian Law (ICFNL)
The Legislation section of the GlobaLex guide (listed in the Research Guides box on this page) describes the latest two compilations of Nigerian laws, one in 1990 covering through January 1990, and the second in 2004, covering through December 2002. This ICFNL page has an alphabetical list of the enactments and subsidiary legislation made from 1990 to December 31, 2000, that are still in force, plus annual pages listing new laws for 1990 through 2006 and for 2011, with full text for some of the laws. As described in the GlobaLex guide, Nigerian law also includes some English law, laws of Nigerian states, customary law, ethnic/non-Moslem law, Islamic/Moslim/Sharia law,and judicial precedents.
- Nigeria, Global Legal Monitor, Law Library of Congress
News and legal developments drawn from "official national legal publications and reliable press sources."
- Parliamentary Documents, National Assembly
Acts, bills, Hansard (reports), notice papers, votes and proceedings, and order papers.
- Supreme Court of Nigeria
Judgments from 1963 to date, with a search engine. NOTE: The guides listed in the Research Guides box on this page provide the titles of various published case reporters for Nigeria.
Selected books and articles.
- UPDATE: Guide to Nigerian Legal Information, GlobaLex
By Yemisi Dina, John Akintayo & Funke Ekundayo.
- Nigeria, Guide to Law Online, Law Library of Congress
- Foreign Law Guide: Countries tab: Nigeria, Brill.com
Marci Hoffman, General Ed., University of California, Berkeley Law Library. Describes the general sources of law and cites to specific laws on various subjects such as taxation.
- Nigeria, Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, School of Advanced Study, University of London
By Heather Memess.
- Guide to Researching Islamic Law, Harvard Law School Library
By Aslihan Bulut.
- UPDATE: Religious Legal Systems in Comparative Law: A Guide to Introductory Research, GlobaLex
By Marylin Johnson Raisch.
Materials will be located in B2 North (map), with call numbers beginning with KTA.