This guide lists essential sources for specialized areas of international law.
Last Updated: Oct 13, 2017
Bilateral investment treaties (BITS) & national laws on foreign investment
Bilateral Treaties in the International Law: General Sources research guide
Other trade agreements in the WTO/GATT research guide
To find books, articles and other commentary on investment treaties in general, see Books, working papers, etc.
- Mapping BITs
According to the website, this method uses text-as-data analysis to "discover patterns of consistency and innovation in the BIT universe."
- UNCTAD International Investment Agreements Navigator
This website can be useful for finding out the year of a treaty, which can help in locating the text of the treaty in the Investment Treaties print looseleaf described below.
- Kluwer Arbitration, Wolters Kluwer Law & Business
Special focus: Bilateral Investment Treaties (BITS)
- Investment Claims database, Oxford Univ. Press
Content type: Treaties. Note: The OUP Investment Claims database has more content than the OUP Investment Claims module in the Oxford Reports on International Law.
- Investor-State Law Guide
Treaties & Rules.
- Bilateral Investment Treaties and Related Agreements, U.S. Dept. of State
Model treaty and texts of U.S. BITS.
- Bilateral Investment Treaties, U.S. Trade Representative
- Trade and Related Agreements Database, U.S. International Trade Administration, Trade Agreements Compliance Program
Agreement texts and guides.
- Database of Bilateral Investment Treaties, ICSID
Searchable by signatory States, particular treaty and year of signature. Texts of treaties are reproduced in the ICSID print volumes "Investment Promotion and Protection Treaties," also called "Investment Treaties."
- Investment Treaties website, ICSID
- Iinvestment Treaties, also called Investment Promotion and Protection Treaties, ICSID
- Investment Treaties, italaw.com
- BIT by BIT, by Lyonette Louis-Jacques, on finding BITs, Slaw